Thursday, September 27, 2012

Our search for Tig

A couple of weeks ago, Tony surprised me with the idea of adopting a pet for companionship for me.  Sounded like a simple easy task, just find a dog and adopt.  The process seemed bleak and disappointing as I had my heart set on an adult male Yorkie.  I starting emailing about ones I found via PetFinder.com, and email after email, they were all adopted.  Not that that is a bad thing, as they all need loving homes, but my search was going nowhere.  Finally, I found the little male Yorkie I thought was mine.  So off to Toledo we went.  We drove two hours, the little guy was at the pet adoption event and adoptable.  I was overwhelmed with excitement!  I had already submitted an online adoption application the night before, which the rescue had not received, but nonetheless, I filled out a paper application in person and waited.  The lady who was processing my application comes back about 10 mins later and tells me she needs a vet reference because my personal reference stated to her that I had previously owned pets.  I was dumbfounded, as my personal reference is a lifelong friend of mine, who knew it had been some 15 years since I owned a pet.  I asked the lady if she was sure that is what she was told and her reply was "yes, so I need a vet reference".  I tried explaining that I thought there had to be some some sort of mix up because my reference wouldn't tell her it was in recent years that I owned a pet when she knew it was a very long time ago.  The lady acted as though I was trying to be dishonest with her and didn't want to give her a vet reference.  I offered another personal reference to try and straighten out the misunderstanding but was told they didn't accept family members as references.  I was so upset and my heart was broken.  She then asked why I had to give my former pets away, I explained that I moved into a small townhouse with my son (who was only 12 months old) and I didn't have the space or time to devote to my pets.  I further explained that the pets were kept in the family and within 10 mins from where I lived.  She still treated me as though I was lying, and said my reference told her I had to give the pets away because I couldn't have them where I moved to.  I again, told her I thought she maybe had mixed up the information she was given as my reference wouldn't say that.  I asked if she would call my reference back to sort all of it out, and she not so kindly, said it would have to wait until Monday, as she didn't have time.  I, at this point, was livid!!!!  We walked away heartbroken and angry that this lady was unhelpful and just plain rude!  Later that night, I spoke with my friend (who was my reference) and we figured out where the lady went wrong with my information and in doing so, denied me a pet.  She first mixed up the time I had the pets with the time I actually owned them.  My reference told her it was years ago that I owned them and had owned them about 3 years.  She also, (I believe), thought that because we had moved we gave the pets away.  Tony is in in the military, so we believe her having this information assumed that we had given our previous pets away because of a military move.  SO NOT TRUE!  I didn't even know Tony that many years ago, and the move nor giving away of our pets had anything to do with the military status.  When it was all said and done, the rescue didn't even apologize for the way we were treated nor did they try to straighten out their mistake.  We accepted that that little guy just wasn't meant for us and our search continued.  We also had accepted that we would not get the little male Yorkie I had my heart set on.  

On Sunday night, I started my search again, and much to my surprise, there he was our little Yorkie!!!  He had just been listed on PetFinder and was available at a local humane society.  I immediately emailed and called to leave a message.  Monday morning, I received a call letting me know he was still adoptable, but they could not hold him for me.  So Tony left work early Monday and we headed to Elyria to Friendship Animal Protective League.  Dolce was still there!!!!  We took him for a walk, spent some time getting to know him and within an hour we were on our way home with our little guy.  We have re-named him Tig since the adoption and he seems to like his new name and home very much!  Tig is quite a bit overweight, at 7.7 pounds, when he should be about 4 1/2, so he is on a special diet and is taking several short walks a day to keep him active.  The only concern with the vet was his breathing is being strained because of his weight.  Apparently, Yorkie's have problems with their trachea's collapsing because they are such a small breed of dog, and Tig has an even greater risk due to his weight.  She thinks with his diet and exercise, he will be just fine.  We sure hope so too, as we are already just head over heels in love with this man.  

Our adoption process was wonderful with FAPL in Elyria, Ohio, and we highly recommend anyone in this area looking for a pet giving them a try.  Tig is a happy, fat little guy who is so more than appreciate of his new home and shows us by being a very well mannered, lovable and showering us with his little kisses.  

So our journey begins with our first pet together and we both hope it is a long rewarding journey and that Tig will always be as happy as he was Monday when he got to our home.   

No comments:

Post a Comment